Sunday 8 February 2009

Insulation

Since my last blog entry, I have been hecticly searching the internet & fish breeding forums for advise or ideas on how to insulate the small cupboard(soon to be fully operational Fish Breeding Room).
Numberous searches yielded result stating I should install cavity wall insulation to the inside of the external walls. For this room, that type of insulation is not suitable, I need to ensure the room can be returned back to normal (if I move etc).
My first idea was cork tiles; place tiles on the walls, ceiling and floor to create a cork box, with the tanks inside the box. Then I thought about how i would return the room back to normal. The cork tiles require gluing to the wall/floor/ceiling and this would great a must larger and messy job if and when it came to removing them.. So back to the drawing board.
On a visit this weekend to get a panel heater(more on this later). I drive past a Homebase store in my town. I quickly changed across 2 lanes.. and when for a nose around.
After finding the correct panel heater I wanted, the Girlfriend noticed some ThermoWrap General Purpose Insulation going half price. They only had 8 rolls left and thats not enough to do normal size loft (so could be why going cheap). So anyway, came home did some researching on the net to find out if I could use this insulation in my fishroom.
Fantastic news, the insulation had been used in the past in USA on some guys Marine setup. He has a large 8x4x3ft display tank in his house, with all the water change tanksx2, and filtering done in a shed in his garden. Pipes where ran 6 meters from the shed to the house and he used ThermoWrap to insulate the pipes and shed.
If its good enough for an expensive marine setup... its good enough for me!

I purchased 4 rolls, which should be plenty to insulate the walls, ceiling and door leading into the room. Not decided about the floor yet..so open to suggestions if you have any?

Here are some photos of the work completed so far, I have stop work because I am have a new electrical board fitted and would prefer the work on installing the new board to be before the insulation is fitted.








No comments: